Sometimes when I come home from work, I get too lazy and tired to run to the store to buy things to cook. Since I try not to eat out too often, I look in my refrigerator/freezer and pantry and create a quick dish with what’s available. As long as there is some protein and vegetables, I could make some stir fry in less than 30 minutes.
On this particular day, I had a bunch of left over uncooked deveined shrimp from a dinner last night, a bunch of vegetables (bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery) from a Veggie Platter and pineapple from a fruit platter I made last weekend. I had several options for sauces, but decided to use Sweet and Sour sauce since I think the red color of the sauce and the bright colors of the vegetables will make a vibrant and colorful dish. It is always nice to eat food when it is pleasing to the eyes, right?
1 pound Shrimp (Medium Size, Deveined and Peeled)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg white
1/4 Red, 1/4 Yellow, and 1/4Orange Bell Peppers (You can substitute Green Bell Peppers)
1 Celery Stalk
1/2 Cup Pineapple
A few Cherry Tomatoes
1-2 cloves Garlic minced
1/2 Jar Sweet and Sour Sauce (I used Kikkoman brand)
Chili Garlic Paste
Salt and Pepper
- In a bowl, mix corn starch, egg white, and salt. Add deveined and peeled shrimp to marinade for 15-30 minutes
- In a separate bowl, add 1/2 jar Sweet and Sour Sauce and add 1-2 teaspoon of Chili Garlic to it. (You can add more if you like it spicier). The chili garlic gives this sweet and sour recipe its “kick.” I also use this sauce for my Mango Chicken. Instead of shrimp and pineapple, I use chicken thighs and mango
- While shrimp is marinating, cut bell peppers, celery, onion, and pineapple into bite size pieces
- Heat Wok to HIGH and add 1-2 tablespoon oil
- When Wok is hot, add garlic and stir quickly then add the bell peppers, celery, and onion and a couple tablespoon of the Sweet and Sour sauce mixture and stir fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and the rest of the Sweet and Sour sauce and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until shrimp is cook. You can add some salt here if you want.
- Turn of the heat and add pineapple and cherry tomatoes and combine everything until the ingredients are covered with sauce.
- Serve Sweet and Sour Shrimp over Rice. You can sprinkle some crushed black pepper over the Sweet and Sour Shrimp and put some cilantro for garnish.
Tip: Stir Frying is a quick process. Some vegetables take longer to cook than others. I usually cut all my vegetables in advance and put it all on a plate and add the vegetables at different times to the stir fry so I don’t overcook any of the vegetables or fruit. Also the great thing about stir fry is you can add whatever vegetables you have available!