At my house, we also dip our Gỏi Cuốn in Tương Cự Đà sauce, which is more on the salty and sour side than the sweet hoisin peanut sauce served at the restaurants or fast food places. Tương Cự Đà is a wholegrain soy sauce which is made with fermented Soy Bean. I add sugar and chili garlic sauce to it to create a wonderfully balanced, pungent, spicy and flavorful dipping sauce. Tương Cự Đà brings back nostalgic memories of my childhood and I am happy to share the recipe. I also included ingredients for hoisin peanut sauce which is also super delicious!
On a final note, I like to use pork leg with a little skin on it, so I can have a little bit of skin and meat on it. However, if you want a leaner cut of meat, use use tenderloin or loin meat.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil over High heat. Add salt and pork and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. Remove pork. Add shrimp (with shell) to boiling water for about 5 minutes or until pink. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- When cooled and rested, slice pork into think slices and peel shrimp and set aside.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to package instructions.
- Wash and prepare all the vegetables.
- Fill a bowl with hot water. Dip rice paper into hot water until wet. Lay on a flat surface to begin assembling the Gỏi Cuốn.
- Add some lettuce, mint, perilla leaves, cucumber and vermicelli noodles at the lower end or bottom of the rice paper. Add pork slices on top of vermicelli noodles and vegetables. Add a few pieces of shrimp in the middle of the rice paper.
- Fold the sides of the rice paper inwards and add a chive between filling and shrimp. Tightly roll the rice paper over the filling and tuck it underneath.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all the ingredients are used.
- To make Hoisin Peanut Sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk until ingredients blended and mixed.
- To make Tương Cự Đà, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk or stir until ingredients blended and mixed.
- Serve and enjoy with favorite dipping sauce.