I went to the flea market last weekend and bought myself a Mexican cookbook for only $3. I was very excited because the book provided me with a little history lesson on Mexican food, described various ingredients used in Mexican cooking and had tons of authentic recipes.
I had some left over rotisserie chicken from Costco and wanted to find a simple recipe inspired by the cookbook and use up all the left over rotisserie chicken. Tortilla Soup was the perfect match! I prepped the ingredients, cooked the soup and fried tortilla strips in about an hour. It would have been quicker, but I had stop for 15 minutes to feed Emily. The dish was very comforting for a cold night like tonight. While I was eating the soup, I was thinking that this soup might go very well with Vietnamese vermicelli noodles. I am very tempted to try it. I might just do that and let you know how it taste.
2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
1-11/2 pounds shredded rotisserie chicken
1 white onion diced
3 vine-riped tomatoes diced
1 jalapeño diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 Chipotle chile minced
1 tablepoon olive oil
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
1 lime juiced
Shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- Dice onions and mince garlic and jalapeño and put in a bowl. Dice tomatoes and put another bowl. Mince Chipotle pepper and set aside.
- Shred rotisserie chicken and set aside. If you don’t have cooked chicken available, add chicken to step 4 and cook it until cooked.
- Add olive oil to large heavy saucepan and turn on Medium heat. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, minced jalapeño, chili powder, cumin and cook over for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir until all the ingredients in pan are combined. Pour in the chicken broth and stir well. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add chopped cilantro, squeeze lime juice to soup and stir.
- Take a bunch of 6-inch corn tortillas and cut in half then cut into 3/4 inch strips. Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry tortilla strips on medium heat until brown.
- In a soup bowl, add a layer of tortilla strips, shredded chicken, and avocado. Pour a few ladles of broth on top. Garnish with additional toppings and serve hot.